Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Containment

I have created 11 cups a day for the past two days.  I find my process becoming streamlined.  I am now able to make the eleven cups in three and a half hours, as opposed to eleven cups in six hours.  I melt a wok full of beeswax.  I spray vegetable oil in a non-stick oversized cupcake pan.  I then pour a few tablespoons of the melted the beeswax in a section of the pan.  I swirl this beeswax around until it hardens.  I create the initial rim by swaying the pan back and forth and in circles.  As I run out of beeswax that is in the tin, I use the rest to fill the bottom.  I want to create very thin walls with the wax, to make them as translucent as possible.  I then repeat the pouring and swirling once or twice more.  I begin to work on the next cup, and the next one after that.  Once three or so cups are made I heat the edge of a butter knife on the hotplate.  I run the blade around the cup to jimmy it free.  Sometimes the cup is too thin and it breaks.  Other times it is set free.  Below are the results.




No comments:

Post a Comment