Friday, March 6, 2015

Reviewing Others

Critiquing other artists and being critiqued myself has always been enjoyable for me.  I like learning how I can improve and assisting others and their growth.  I am going to be writing reviews about my fellow artists, most of who are also in my capstone.  Those in portfolio will anonymously review those in thesis.  I am nervous and excited for this!  Being critiqued is like putting your heart on stage, watching it perform, and seeing how it is received.  It is tough and comes often with a lot of anguish. So why do it?  It helps us become more informed artists.  It is all too easy to get too close to a piece of art and not see what others, with fresh eyes, eyes of the public, will see.

There are other difficulties in getting and receiving critique.  Ego and feelings aside I find it difficult to review works made by a maker I know intensely well.  I can worry about being perceived as harsh or un-knowledgeable, especially when it comes to painting.  Despite this I am excited though to see my fellow artists work and give them feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment