Friday, March 21, 2014

Open Studio Thoughts

The following text is the artist statement I placed with my exhibit:

I have crafted a space that acts as both an enclosure, and an escape. The work stems from a need to free myself from anxiety; a process I can achieve by being in control of my environment.  Making these pieces was very meditative, as each mark, each stitch, created a soothing rhythm which I could move along to.  I have chosen everything that goes in to this space, thus alleviating stress.  In this place, I feel in control.  In this place I am free.


In retrospect I would have added a sentence or two about why I chose beeswax and shadow as my inspiration.

My work was received very well by my peers in Thesis.  One person said that it was the most exciting work I had produced thus far.  Another person said that with this work I was on my right path as an artist.  Many of the reviews has Haiku's at the end.  This was very interesting to me, and I think my next artist statement will be a haiku or poem of some sort.

I have researched a lot since the open studio.  An artist I found particularly inspiring was Wolfgang Laib.  His installations are perfection and he uses many of the same source material as I do; beeswax.

After each installation I am left with a few answers and much more questions.  And after a lot of soul searching I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment