Friday, March 14, 2014

Cut-Outs

I have created an installation which I thoroughly enjoy.  I cut out shapes from a thick piece of white paper.



The finished shape takes form as a unique shape.


I then pair these finished stencils together.  With the proper lighting shadows form on the wall behind the shapes.  Some shapes are closer than others to the wall and the light source, creating variance in the clarity of the shadows.


In reviewing these cut outs with the help of my peers I found a way to create a continuity between this work and my beeswax work. 



I dip each cut out piece in beeswax.  With the addition of a second light source each cut out makes two shadows on opposing walls.


There is a certain beauty in mental state that comes from making these cut outs.  I decided to push the cut outs further by making an accordion book in the same style.  The book made beautiful shadows on the nearby wall.  It also added dimension to the cut outs in the initial state.




Overall I am very pleased with the form this display has taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment