Friday, October 24, 2014

Anya Gallaccio

When I tell people I am an installation artist I am often asked what installation art is, and what exactly is it that I make?  I make environments, I make a new ambiance in a space.  

I may not know exactly how to define what I do, but an artist I recently looked up has one definition.  She defines it through her installations.  It is one artists interpretation of installation art and it is luminous.  Anya Gallaccio makes spaces, such as her room at the Camden Art Centre in London, or her installation, as long as there were any roads to amnesia and anaethesia still to be explored.  My personal favorite is her Glaschu installation showed in 1999.  

Installation artists, and artists in general, are not limited to one media.  Gallaccio, like myself, creates objects as well.  She has an attention to craft and a refinement which I hope my work one day possesses.  900 red gerbera 'beauty' pressed behind glass, is a wonderful set of three wall hangings.  Like we've never met are two doors.

Gallaccio makes works that touch on art history, such as red on white, a note on Malevich's White on White.  To be in touch with art history is smart for an artist, to be able to refer back to it in a new and interesting way makes an artist great.

I am unsure of what my future holds.  All I know that for now my aim is to create an ambiance with as much simplicity, and elegance as Gallaccio.



No comments:

Post a Comment