Friday, October 3, 2014

Building Blocks

Part of the elegance the concept of the beeswax moulds has lacked is simplicity.  I want people to feel the experience and not have to ponder it for extreme lengths of time.  That is not to say I want a piece of work that will not grow, both in concept and aesthetics, with time.  I have needed to clarify, and solidify what I truly want from this work.

I have been creating these wooden forms for a while now...























Something I realized, is that when placed and stacked, these pieces make unique negative space.  This realization was solidified when I presented the multitude of wooden forms to fellow artists.






















My friends started to stack the pieces in different ways.  Each person had a different way to stack these pieces.  They also helped each other when stacking them.  The marks I had carved into the pieces, along with the force of gravity,  allowed them to stack.


Then, something wonderful happened to the stack.  The stack started to tip, and everyone in the room held their breath.  And...



It fell.





















The smile that appeared on Taryn's face was wonderful.  She laughed.  Everyone else did too.  And then...






















The people worked together to make something new.

It was magical, truly magical.  This is what I want from my art.  Thus, a new direction unfolds itself to me.  I am excited to see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment