Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Getting Inspiration

It is in the moments where we are lost that we find ourselves.  I am currently aiding professor Totem Shriver in his Intro To Studio class.  It is here that I learned this.  A few years ago I was in this class, taught by Totem.  This was my first art class.  I did not understand his unconventional ways of teaching.  I did not understand that it is sometimes necessary to be lost.  I ended up feeling lost at the beginning of the class.  It was after each project that was completed that I stepped back in awe.  This man knew not only how to teach, he knew how to empower.

I have aided in Totem's class before.  Each time students come in, from all different walks of life.  Some want to be accountants, other nurses.  In the end, given they follow their gut and Totem's guide, they leave artists.

I am in consistent awe of this.  In the past few weeks the Studio class has been working on a public mural.  We started with two large ovals, which we painted beige.




We then chose color.  We decided complimentary colors would look nice.  Blue, and green, would be the main colors.  We then would add pops of burnt orange and pink.  The students looked at these large ovals.  We gave the students an eighth inch brushes.  






The funny thing about rules, guidelines really, is that someone always breaks them.  Here a student took their tiny brush and made a large crevice of color.





The students continued on though.  Some days more confused than others.  Until the ovals were nearly filled.






Though not completed yet, the students faces are looking up.  They are looking at this giant mural, and wondering if they really did that.  I know, as I was in the same boat a few years ago.

I am proud to learn this lesson of being lost again.  It has helped me find myself, and for that I thank Totem Shriver; art professor, mentor, true friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment