Thursday, September 11, 2014

It All Started With...

I become inspired by the simplest of things.  Sometimes I get inspired by a dream.  That is how I started working with beeswax.  

I had a dream where I was a bee.  I was in a giant hive.  I saw the cell walls all around me.  They were grand, like a cathedral setting.  I was small and all of the hive was a giant room.  Grand, and awe-inspiring.  The walls were a molten gold, that turned to shades of marigold, and orange, and yellow, depending on my vantage point.  There were two things in this hive.  Myself, and a giant wall. The wall was made of beeswax.  I saw it before me.  A challenge I knew I had to accept.  I could go around either side of the wall, but I felt in my gut that I must fly over.  

I hovered there for a moment, and then tried to make the fantastical journey over the wall.  I would fly sometimes a quarter of the way.  It was no until I had almost given up that I decided to push once more.  I made it to where I could just barely see over the wall.  I wasn't close enough to go over the wall though.

This dream ended with me looking down on my bee self.  I felt like God, looking down in this grand setting at my hovering self.  I never touched the ground of the hive.  

This dream has stuck with me.  It is why I work with beeswax.  To be honest this dream is the most real thing that I have experienced.  It was when I knew I was doing something right.  

You can take what you will from the dream.  But what I took is that I needed to work with beeswax. 

So, with that in mind I bought some.  And continued to buy some.  About 30 pounds later I made a piece that was presented at the Linfield College art gallery.

Now, I create a whole new series.  60 pounds later I simply wish to make something out of nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment