Thursday, September 11, 2014

Inspiration

I was very inspired by Janine Antoni.  Her series Lick and Lather, to be specific.




The image has stuck with me, a pair of 7.  7 busts made of soap and 7 of chocolate.  Antoni talks of her process in the following interview.  It is incredibly inspiring.  These ideas are what inspired me on how to make my new series. 

I had the idea for a few years now; an idea of the body healing through trauma.  I now am excited and ready to execute this idea.  As shown in previous posts I have made moulds of my body.  This extremely revealing process was exactly what I needed.  

When my naked body was covered in plaster I felt warm.  It was an armour, that eventually, due to the chemicals, grew too hot to have on my body.  As it was taken off me I felt raw and more vulnerable than I had felt even earlier.  My skin was red, my face was hot.  I needed a towel to cover myself immediately.  

It was like a mask, a shield of armour has been taken off me.  I was weak from dehydration.  But once I looked at the finished product I was strong.  I had relinquished all of my energy, my form, unto a new me.  

In a way I felt purer than I had before this process.  It was very close to my heart.  I hope to do the process justice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment