Thursday, September 11, 2014

Wax Trials

I have made the following mould in efforts to learn more about my plaster moulds.  I stuck my elbow in plaster and saw how the impression set in.  It was wonderful.  The plaster captured my elbows pockets and grooves.






















I then powdered my mould with talc.  After this I heated some wax in a wok on a hot plate.





















The end result was rather intriguing.  I poured the hot wax into the mould.  As the wax hardened I could pop the wax shape out of the mould.





















The detail I could create with the mould translated very well to the wax elbows.



From this experiment I learned to not add as much talc to my mould.  I, also learned that I need to find a way to dig out some of the wax, so that the center of my wax copies are not solid wax; in order to conserve resources.

My plan is to scoop out the insides wax, and then go over the wax with a heat gun to soften the carved out edges.



No comments:

Post a Comment